Sunday 5 May 2013

Food & Recipes (452)

Ćevapi is a grilled dish of minced meat with onions and sauce in a flatbread(lepina or somun). Along with a vast variety of pies, it is a national dish in my country and it's very popular among tourists.




 


 





This is a recipe that I will try out. Sometimes I do that. I think that was the idea behind the choice to add food/recipe postcards to my collection. I love experimenting with food!

When I was in Prague last year, I came across this middle-eastern dish. It was beautifully served but there was no way I could eat it as it's not sort of food that I'm used to... we don't eat chick peas here but because I tried Hummus (middle-eastern dip) and was delighted with it, I thought I'd like Falafel too but I didn't... I don't think it's a bad dish, it's just my taste in food that's weird...

I love this postcard so much! My childhood penpal Audrey sent it to me long time ago, even before I was into postcards. I love the way all the food colours are displayed are displayed and its unusual long shape and the back of the postcard is just as special and unusual. Thank you Audrey!





What an unusual way to serve a drink! I wonder if it's for real? My penfriend Audrey from Singapore sent this postcard to me and I loved it! I'm so glad I started collection food and recipe postcards.




A postcard from my favorites on my postcrossing profile! I'm always thrilled when I get a postcard that I added to my favourites. This one came from Finland. I kind of thought of collecting postcards with hearts (anywhere on a postcard) but then forgot about that but each time I get one with a heart somewhere on it, I get reminded of it and it brings a smile on my face...


Here's a rare, sweet postcard from New Zealand. Wish they had more postcards like this. I only recognise the first three sweets: cola bottles (though they look different here, they're a bit darker like HARIBO, the second ones I haven't seen around here but I've seen them abroad and I guess the 3rd ones are these sweet stripes with sour taste - I love them! I'm not really familiar with the rest.

This is one brilliant postcard from New Zealand! I know what fudge is, though I'm not sure we have it here. We make it at home to serve with coffee - but we only have a few nutty flavours. I'd really like to try the one with lemon meringue because I'm a citrus addict.


 


 
An authentic Australian recipe that I tried out... I used lentils instead of the beans and didn't add pasta but it was still brilliant! I'll be making it more often now that I know how good it is. If you ever go for it, keep in mind that once it stays over night, it will thicken and the liquid will be absorbed so if you may want to add more liquid in order to have it look like a soup.


 A postcard with sweets from Malaysia. The one I've been trying to find for a very long time. It's nice to see what Malaysian sweets are like (some of them resemble the homemade sweets that are only sold at funfairs here) and the boy and a girl are cute too.





 








I absolutely love this postcard! Even though it's an ad postcard, I still find it beautiful. I think I'd go for all that's on offer because it's what I like to eat (I'm a fast food addict and the offer sure is tempting).








What an easy recipe to follow! Because I love chocolate cakes, I'll definitely try it out some day.

 We have something similar in my country (vanilla cookies) that are really good. They are not dark like Whoopie Pies but they look the same and there's a jam filling inside instead of cream. This looks just as good. Would love to try and make it some day.

Brownies!!! They're my favourite cakes and they're so easy to make. They're best if you use dutch-processed cocoa and dark chocolates with 70% (or more) of cocoa. The recipe I follow is here: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bloomin-brilliant-brownies-jamie-oliver.html

More Brownies! There can never be enough of them. They're among my favourites when it comes to desserts. Other stuff that I like more than anything else are French Macaroons and Cheesecakes. Of course, I'm also fond of some of the Balkan's delicacies such as: Serbian Reform Torte with Almonds, Austro-Hungarian Dobos Torte, Bosnian Baklava with Walnuts, Hurmasice, Ruzice, Poppy-seed Strudel, etc.

 Another Brownie recipe! Makes me so happy.

 These look so easy to make. I might give it a try some day, though it will me own version of the recipe as I might not find all the needed ingredients over here. I might use rum instead of Bourbon.

There's nothing much to say about this postcard... except that I like wine. Red wine. I like to occasionally have a glass of wine with my meal and I like to use it in cooking and baking.

These are Dutch Toffees from Zeeland. I haven't tried them but I've seen them in store windows in Volendam. They are usually sold in metal boxes which you can keep as a souvenir.

Dutch herrings and flags.

 More food from the Netherlands.

Nicely decorated sea food platter.

Even though I'm not fond of sea food, I do like fish soup and there are certain types of sea food that I do like but not many. I like canned tuna and often use it on my spreads or with pasta or with rice. I also like fried squid/calamari, fried octopus, bass, bream and I especially like salmon - smoked or non-smoked! It's my favourite food. In addition, I also like fried carp and catfish though I like them prepared any way really. It's what we sometimes have at home for dinner. I think that in general, I prefer freshwater fish to saltwater fish.

This looks delicious! I love fish soups and would be happy to try this one... so perhaps one day I will.

When I was living in England, we often had fish or other sea food for dinner. I tried many different kinds of food there, some I liked, others I didn't. For instance, I didn't like fresh tuna steaks, lobster or shrimps but I was ok with fish (haddock) and chips and fish cakes. I actually quite enjoyed the other two, perhaps not at first but since fish and chips was so popular there I kind of was exposed to it a lot that I ended up liking it.

Blueberry muffins are probably the best muffins you will find out there. I've never made them myself but I've tried them on holidays in different countries and they were delicious! 

 
I think that when I decide to make cupcakes I'll go for blueberry cupcakes as they're delicious and look great. It's a pity that blueberries are so expensive but when the summer comes I'll go on a blueberry hunt myself and make blueberry pancakes and blueberry jam as well. If only summer was here now.

I've tried lobster once and didn't like it but when it comes to lobster chowder, I think I'd like that.

 I wonder if there's a He-Crab soup also?

 
Clam Chowder looks delicious. It's one of the things I'm sure I would like but since I've never had it, I can't really tell. It's definitely something I'd try, had I had a chance.

Another great Clam Chowder recipe postcard.

And another. I wonder if they all show the same recipe.

 
This one's from Boston but needless to say, looks just as good and delicious as the previous ones.

I'm not fond of shrimp but I like beer!

 
Another similar Shrimp postcard.

 
Now, this looks delicious! Every time I see chocolate in something, I immediately decide that it's good. I'm chocoholic. I simply love chocolate. I'm not so keen on white chocolate but I can handle that too.

American pancakes! I love them. We don't make them at home like this but any pancake is a good pancake, especially when there's Nutella chocolate spread on top, Yummy!

What an unusual postcard collection from China. They weren't typical postcards but more of a large-sized Ikea adverts. However, I knew about it and still wanted to arrange a private swap and so here's the result. BTW, I love ginger and there's a recipe in the back and I might try this one out.
This looks delicious and easy to make. I used custard on pancakes in similar way before.

This would be a great idea for snack food on parties and I'll definitely make something similar for when I have some friends over. Can't wait to see their reaction.

The first time I had salmon was when I was in England in 2005 though I must have tried salmon cheese spread in the USA or so I think. I loved it. It's a pitty it's so expensive over here and there's only one place in town where you can get it fresh and not frozen. 

More salmon recipes - that's awesome! I might try some of these recipes with the other kind of fish I can easily get in a shop. With a touch of mayonnaise, it should be perfect.
These pictures with recipes make me crave for even more salmon...

This reminds me of fish pie (fish cakes) that I had when I was in England, which was so long ago. I so miss some of the British food (tomatoe soup, pork pies, prawn crackers, flap jacks, etc.).

I don't know what this is. This postcard came from Finland so I assume it has something to do with their traditional/national food/cuisine. I can tell from the picture that it's something milky but not more than that.

Honeycomb and jarred honey from Russia! I always have a jar of liquid honey at home (though I prefer creamed and chunk honey). Lots of people here have their own bees and so produce their own honey. I especially like pine honey. It's supposed to be really good for your health if you have asthma, pneumonia or other breathing difficulties and considering that I live in a very polluted town it's good for me too. I also find chestnut honey very useful because I have stomach problems and chestnut honey is the best for that.

And here comes the basket of apples directly from Russia. Apples are the most common fruit here too. It's cheap and available. I have several apple trees in my garden. My favourites are green, sour Granny Smith apples. I also like our winter apples. They grow in winter and they have brown - olive green colour and they have a sour taste. I love apple pies and apple juice too.

 More delicious apples from Russia arrived this morning! I rarely use apples in cooking but cinnamon apple pie in filo pastry is lip-smacking and then there's Tufahije, an old Bosnian dessert made of walnut-stuffed apples stewed in water with sugar and topped with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Yummy!

I love this postcard but I don't like pears. Sometimes when I'm home, my mom will mix an apple, orange, lemon, banana, kiwi and a pear with some water and I can have it like that but I generally don't eat pears.

Would you refer to these as tangerines, mandarins or satsumas? I love them. I love citrus fruits. I prefer them to oranges and they also have less calories than oranges. They're less sweet in taste and easier to peel + they are rich in vitamin C. Wish we had them all year round, like oranges but we don't.

Another orange postcard from Russia. I wonder how many of my food/recipe postcards on this blog are Russian. Wish I could get more of these postcards from other parts of the world. It'd be fun to see other things that people in far-away countries eat and consider to be tasty.

Apple Strudel postcard from Austria! Our food is similar because of history (period of Austro-Hungarian rule in former Yugoslavia) and I love it! We have Strudel thanks to Austria though we make ours filled with jam, ground poppy seeds or ground walnuts. We make it at Christmas.

I've never tried this before but now that I have a recipe, you never know. I love experimenting with food and trying out new recipes so I'm hoping to try this one out as well.

Famous Sachertorte from Austria. It's popular and common in Bosnia too. I've made it several times and it's one of my favourites.

This indeed is a Hurricane drink! I'm determined to make it some day.

Raspberries sprinkled with caster sugar... yummy!!!

And here comes more fruit. I've never seen this many blueberries.

A lovely postcard from Great Britain. Thanks a lot Anu!

I received this postcard from my childhood penpal Audrey from Singapore. Isn't it sweet/unusual?

Another postcard from Wilma in the Netherlands. Thanks a million!

French Macaroons! They are among my favourite cakes. I love them to bits. They are hard to make and almost impossible to find here. I only once accidentally bumped on them in my local food store... what a pity!

More French Macaroons! They taste so good!!!

Beautifully coloured French Macaroons.

I've never tried pistacchio nuts in cakes apart from Baklava and loved it. If they weren't so expensive, I think I'd buy them more often and therefore would have tried experimenting with them in cakes but this way it's impossible. Anyway, this postcard is a lovely addition to my recipe/food collection.

How would you name these? Love cupcakes, perhaps?

What an awesome /wedding/ cake! I love the vanilly colour of the cake and even though I can't make anything spectacular like this I'd still love a piece of this on my plate.... 

Are chocolate cupcakes good enough to make up for a forgotten birthday?

I should try this out sometimes just to see if a cupcake can do its work.

I love the blue sprinkles on the top, amazing!

I've never had blue velvet cake, only red velvet cake even though it was simple with only a butter cream filling, I still considered it a good cake.

Magnificient red velvet cupcake!

I so loved to drink pink lemonade when I was in the USA. We don't have it here and I have no idea how they make it. I have also tried lemonade with strawberries and loved that as well.

Caramel is my favourite flavour when it comes to cakes. Sadly, I don't have any good caramel cake recipes. There's a caramel cake in a shop that's my favourite but I don't have the recipe.

What a chocolate cupcake with a not very chocolate name!

There's apple pie recipe in almost every country and they're all different and stills awesome. In the Balkans, we make apple pie from Filo pastry and add raising and cinnamon to the apple stuffing. So far I have tried American, English, Austrian/German, Dutch and South African apple pie.

I love cherry pies! And apple pies! And carrot pies! And pumpkin pies! And plum pies! That's about what we make over here and we make them with phillo pastry sheets.

Cherries are... amazing!

This is something I wish I could make.

This looks great. I really want to make it some day. I love good, old fashioned food and when I cook I invest time in it and usually cook for a few days ahead. I will definitely come back to this recipe at some point.

The only green tomatoes we have over here are pickled ones. Not sure I would like them prepared this way.

More fried green tomatoes! I wonder if someone actually eats this...

There're no pecan nuts over here but the pie looks heavenly!

I so love the taste of anything lemony and so would love this!

I've never used oranges in any of my recipes so this looks great and unusual.

They all look great!

 
Wish there were pies like this to get over here.

Who wouldn't want a piece of this?

  
One piece for me, please!

If it's old-fashioned cooking/baking than it's the best...

More pie recipes!

And more!

... more!

I love Greek/Mediterranean cooking but this one looks far too plain.

 A taste of the Mediterranean!

I tried this in Spain and would love to go back just for the soup!

Stuffed peppers with rice are a part of my country's cuisine too.

Baklava with Walnuts is considered a landmark of my country too.

Another common dish over here. We make Moussaka either with sliced aubergine or sliced potatoes though I've heard rumours that you can make it with kale too.

These are not usual here but they can be found somewhere.

This is something I only found and ate in Greece.

I tried Greek Feta cheese in war for the first time and loved it ever since. We can buy it here but I seldom do. People say it's good but hardly ever use it. I use it as a spread on my bread instead of sour cream as it has less calories and nice, salty texture.

An interesting ad card.

Another pesto postcard but this time it's from Singapore.

 I have tried both pesto and napolietana pasta + a few others (carbonara, bolognese, etc) and they're all great. I've never been too keen on pasta, I prefer oven baked (jacket) potatoes with chicken or cottage cheese/sour cream or baked beans and chorizo sausage or tuna. Whatever the stuffing, it's yummy.

A dish from Chille!

Japanese food.

More Japanese food.

 Lovely selection of Japanese food.

I love spices! For some odd reason it reminds me of a 'Mistress of Spices' movie.

More beautiful spices!

Let's spice our lives!

Lovely, healthy food from the US.

Red bell peppers from Macedonia. 

More bell peppers from Macedonia.

Austrian Cuisine.

 Something I'd like to try to make.

To me this looks like American pancakes.

Sounds easy to make!

I love both corn and chicken... but have never had it combined. Can't imagine what that would taste like.

Chicken soup is enough for me.

 
I tried Cole Slaw when I was in England and loved it ever since.

Haven't got a clue what this would taste like but if it involves sauerkraut than I'd go for it!

Beautiful vegetables!

Yummy!

Double yummy for this one!

I love Mexican food. When I first tried it, back when I was in the USA I didn't like it but I love it now. I love the taste of hot food although I'm not a big fan of tortillas.

As long as it's chili, I love it!

Chili rocks!

I've had Chili con Carne before, I made it myself and that was pretty good. I'm sure this one would be just as good. There're too many recipes to try out!

An easy recipe to follow. Easy and simple.

I'm not fond of these unusual dips... from the Southwest but you never know before you try it out.

Definitely something I'd go for.

I love, love, love salad dressings like this one!

I guess the main part is to find Hound dogs to feed them to.

 And here the main part is to find a possum. They are non-existent in my country so I may as well forget about this recipe or perhaps provide another animal? Just joking.

Margarita rocks!

This reminds me of Sunday roast dinner in England.

Looks delicious!

I've tried Kentucky fried chicken in KFC in Hungary and fell in love with it. I tried making it at home but it was no where near it. Still it was good and was eaten from a plate.

Southern fried chicken is what I attempted to make before. 
Whether it was good or not, I don't know. What matters is that it was all gone!

More fried chicken recipes!

They say it's easy to make. I've never tried it.

This looks like spaghetti bolognese upside down to me!

Croissants and jam... you can never go wrong with that.

I didn't know French fries were invented in Belgium.

 This beautiful postcard came to me from Poland. I'm not sure if it's to do with a traditional Polish breakfast or it could be just a random moment caught on a camera. Whatever the case, it looks delicious.

 This postcard also came from Poland. I love the colour and contrast in both postcards. Wish there was a recipe included on the other side. This one resembles American pancakes and they are easy to make.

Bulgarian cuisine... again so many similarities between our cuisines.

More than half of what's displayed on this postcard is 
what we consider to be a part of our national cuisine too.

 Most of the dishes displayed here are present in Bosnian cuisine too. I so love Mediterranean food.

One of my favourite domestic meals.

I saw this in Greece but have never tried it.

Again, I saw this in Greece a lot but have never had it.

I ate a lot of this when I was in Greece - and loved it!

 Raspberries and pancakes - awesome combination!!!

This is how we make pancakes too.

Just like our pancakes.

 More caviar pancakes.

 Yummy Russian food!!!

 I would love to try this.

Famous Borscht soup!

I would love this!

We eat buckwheat here too but we cook it with meat and veggies.

We add minced garlic to our pickled beetroot salad in the Balkans'.

 This is how we make pancakes as well.

This postcard came from Finland. I don't know what these are.

More red berries from Finland.

I love aubergine so this could be good.

I've never heard of these before but they sure look good.

This looks good! I need to start eating healthier and experimenting with different kinds of soups sounds good for a start and I love meat - all kinds! It may even help me lose some weight.

 An unusal dish from Russia.

This looks great!

 
This is so unusual.

I love all the ingredients here, especially the olives.

 Pickles are so popular here too. At first I didn't like them but then I realised that they're one of the ingredients in some of my favourite dishes (e.g. French/Russian salad, kebab doners, etc). Now I tend to put them in meat and tuna sandwiches. They go well with hummus too.

 I only recently became fond of fish. My favourite is carp and catfish. When it comes to saltwater fish I only like tuna. I'm not good in cooking it but I will eat it any time someone prepares it for me.

This would be great to try!

I've never eated caviar but these pancakes look great!

We have something similar over here... we call it Bajadera.

Peanut butter + chocolate = perfection!

More peanut butter and chocolate candies!

And more!

My favourite berries - strawberries!

More strawberries!

Strangely, I only like strawberries but not strawberries with cream.

Delicious strawberries!

... and delicious cookies!

 I'm hoping to collect the whole series of these. These look so delicious.I love pastry of any kind but am not quite good at making it. Luckily, it's quite cheap to buy it in our bakeries.

Yummy oatmeal cookies!!!! I can make these and I often do with many different ingredients, such as: raisins, walnuts, and crushed chocolate pieces - chocolate ones are my favourites. I must try them with flaked coconut as well and orange peel as well. Now, I feel like doing some baking again.

Typical Greek summer.

More food from Greece.

 Another colourful postcard from Greece. I am familiar with most of the dishes displayed because our cuisines are so similar. Some of my favourite dishes are displayed on this postcard and I'm getting hungry!

I so love to use rum in my cakes! I use it whenever and wherever. 
I simply love the scent of it and love my cakes to have that flavour. 

Definitely something worth trying.

 Another Mint Julep recipe from Kentucky.

 And here's something else from Kentucky. It would be a great addition to my cake mixtures.

I love the purple colour in this postcard.... but the pie looks just as tempting.

Another beautiful purple-coloured postcard.

Again, a dish that remains to be tried.

Another Chili postcard.

 I hate snakes - the only comment I have for this postcard.

Kiwi from New Zealand.

Kiwi fruit from New Zealand.

Red wine from Finland.

White wine and spring potaotes from Finland.

A collection of recipes from New Orleans.

A collection of recipes from New Orleans.

A collection of recipes from New Orleans.

 A collection of recipes from New Orleans.

 Another Jambalaya recipe postcard.

A seafood recipe!

This is going to be tried in my kitchen.

yummy...
And here's a recipe for banana lovers.

A collection of recipes from New Orleans.

Another seafood recipe!

And another!

 
 ... and another!

 Catfish is my favourite! I'm not really fond of other kinds of fish... We often have catfish at home and prepare it in a similar way. It's yummy!!!

Shrimp-fastic recipe from New Orleans. Wish sea food was more popular here. It's not even a good quality and it's overpriced so no wonder it's not common on our menus but it would've been great if Tuzla where I live had a sea food restaurant... 

More Shrimp recipes. The dish on the previous postcard was far more tempting than this one but it's ok.

Another card added to my set of these beautiful cards.

Cornbread is very popular among villagers in Bosnia. My dad's an expert in making it. I like it dipped in (sour) milk. We make it a little different - to be thinner and harder.

Something worth trying.

A simple sandwich recipe.

I love the topping on this pie and the green-coloured crust. 

Peaches are beautiful.

A taste of Texas Ham!

Goulash recipe from Hungary. Yummy!!!

A seafood recipe from Florida.

Lobster recipe from Maine.

This could be good!

Wonderful Louisiana Crawfish.

A seafood recipe from Louisiana.

Louisiana Harvest.

Louisiana Dinner.

I've tried Chilli con Carne before and this recipe reminds me of that. Because I love both red beans and rice, I'll give this recipe a go in the near future.

I've never made this before but will surely give it a go now that I have a recipe on my hands.

This postcard is so beautiful. Just look at all these colours.

Lemons are my favourite citrus fruit. I could drink unsweetened, homemade lemonade all day long. I love lemon flavour in cakes and I love the smell of lemons in my kitchen. What can I say? I'm a lemon person.

Guacamole sauce - we can buy it in glass jars and bottles over here but it can be hard to find.

I've never tried caviar but since I'm not a sea food fan, I'm not sure I would like it. But a caviar according to this easy to follow recipe would be far more tempting, at least for me.

Simple and easy.

Easy cookies to make.

Curly pasta.

And spaghetti.

And more spaghetti.

Cannolini.

and more pasta!

Limes are hard to find here so I'd have to use lemons.

Another Southern Pecan Pie recipe.

Baked beans and bacon, now that's something.

Cooked beans are so popular here too. We cook them in earthenware pots for hours with smoked ribs or bacon and they are a part of our daily cuisine. They are not my favourite dish but I quite like it in winter.

I love hot food!

Another recipe for food lovers to try out.

Freshly baked homemade bread and butter and I am in Heaven!

 More Belarusian recipes.

 What an interesting postcard! If ever I start a business of making my own postcards for trade, I'm stealing this idea (of course it won't be Borsch, but something local on my postcard). I really like this one.

 Another amazing food postcard from Belarus. I wish I could get the one with cranberry juice from this set as well. I really need to set up some private swaps some time soon.

Gherkins are popular over here too but I don't like them per se. I do like to have them thinly sliced in a sandwich with other things (mayonnaise, boiled eggs, chilli sausage, etc). However, I do like homemade bread and now that I have a bread machine, there'll be more of it.

When I looked at this card, my first thought was that those are sliced mushrooms but I'm not sure. I do like the card because it's got a blend of colours and country home details and those are my favourites. I love the wooden boxes on the table and the crocheted curtains in the background.

Cheese! I so love it, any kind, any time and anywhere. My favourite is Brie. I also wonder if this could be butter. I love that too but at home we eat margarine most of the time. Not that it's healthier, but it's cheaper.

I can see cheese here! I love cheese in any form: cottage cheese with sour cream (we serve it as a side dish), powdered Parmesan cheese that we sprinkle on top of some dishes or sliced/grated hard yellow cheese like Gouda, Edamer, Cheddar (Slovenian Livada is my favourite). I also like soft cheese such as French Brie and I absolutely adore moldy cheese such as Gorgonzola. I find goat's cheese just as amazing. 



 This reminds me of a German/Austrian Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte... As a matter of fact, I think it's the same cake. I've made it on several occasions, but always tried out a different recipe. I love baking but I'm not as good in decorating my cakes as I'd like to be. When it comes to cakes, I have a list of my favourites and so am always in two minds when deciding whether to try out a new one or go for one from my list of all-time favourites that have been in my family for decades.

One simple word: mouth-watering!

 
Nice-looking crab... but not my cup of tea.

I so love the colours in this postcard and blueberries too. I don't like crabs but the wine and blueberry tart is what I'd take from this postcard to serve home for dinner. If only blueberries weren't so expensive here.

This is another beautiful, multi-coloured postcard. Even more colourful than the previous one. I really love my food and recipe postcard collection. I've only tried a couple of recipes and even if I never try out more, I still enjoy showing off my pretty huge food/recipe postcard collection to friends and family.

This reminds me of a sweet dish we make over here - semolina with sugar cooked in milk. Yummy!

Some of the food here looks very tempting.

Wish I was invited to a dinner like this one.

 A fllod of food feelings go through my mind when I look at this postcard. I know I probably wouldn't be able to eat half of it (because I find food from the East too sweet and unusual) but it sure does look tempting. I wonder what my friends from Taiwan would say about the food we have in the Balkans.

The spicier, the better.


American pancakes. Haven't had them for a long time.

I love making cupcakes but I'm not fond of them. My top favourites are cheesecakes, macarons, brownies and baklavas, though I also love chocolate and caramel cakes. 

My favourite American chocolate.

A variety of food from Italy.

These look good!

Even though I'm not a sea food fan, I do like this set of 3D postcards.

Is it sea food or meat?

This looks good also.

Interesting!

Yummy-looking dish from Thailand.

Food from Thailand.

Ukrainian Cuisine.

More cuisine from Ukraine.

This postcard is so beautiful. Just look at all these colours.

 
When I was living in England, the lady who hosted me would often make Tosca cake in the shape of a heart and it would be topped up with bleached almond slices - I loved it and the cake on this postcard reminds me of that. I LOVE HAPPY MEMORIES!

 Another one of my favourite cakes: a scrumptious cheese cake recipe. It's a shame we don't have these around where I live but I guess they're not too complicated to make. We have Plazma biscuits here both ground and whole and there's nothing in the world that can compare to the taste of Plazma (originally produced in Serbia) and that's just perfect foundation for the cheesecake.

 Anything heart shaped will draw my attention...

This is a recipe that I will try out. Sometimes I do that. I think that was the idea behind the choice to add food/recipe postcards to my collection. I love experimenting with food!

Lemons are my favourite citrus fruit. I could drink unsweetened, homemade lemonade all day long. I love lemon flavour in cakes and I love the smell of lemons in my kitchen. What can I say? I'm a lemon person.

Wish we had good croissants in our bakeries (the way they do in France). I've never tried making them but that would be awesome if I could bake croissants!

I'm not a coffee lover but croissants on this postcards seem to be delicious....

 This postcard reminds me of my grandma's homemade bread.



More junk food.

One look at baked goodies and my mouth is watering. 

I love this postcard and I also love oatmeal cookies. I wish I had other postcards from this set.

 A chocolate treat from Australia. Definitely something I'd go for.

 A bucket full of crispy chicken wings and drumsticks... so delicious!!!

Yummy drinks!

 Yummy-looking food from Morocco. If only the recipe was in English.

Moroccan Delicacies. Too bad the recipe is in French!

What an artistic postcard! Wish I could buy such postcards here.

A type of soup that we make at home. It's my favourite food (only I make semolina egg noodles instead of pasta, though pasta is traditionally used). I love it. This postcard makes me hungry!

 More past dishes. I believe these are dumplings... I never made them but they sure look good.

 Pastry from Poland.

 Tea time in Poland. We have similar cakes here (but they're not on my top list of favourites). I'm a cheesecake and baklava addict though I love chocolate, coconut and some fruit cakes too.

 Another cup of (Russian) tea.

 Beautiful crab recipe.

 Beautiful shrimp recipe.
 

I love eggplants but have never had them stuffed. We often fry them here (and make moussaka) or we roll them in flour, egg mix and breadcrumbs and deep fry.



 Postcard swap with Arnold - thank you :).

Postcard swap with Arnold - thank you :).
Healthy food choice.

 Estonian biscuits.

More Estonian delicacies.

 From the Postallove set... made with love in Poland.

 From the Postallove set... made with love in Poland.

 From the Postallove set... made with love in Poland.

  From the Postallove set... made with love in Poland.

 From the Postallove set... made with love in Poland.

  From the Postallove set... made with love in Poland.

 A fruit I've never tried (not sure if I've seen it before either). However, I love all exotic fruits and if given a chance to try it, I wouldn't say no. Perhaps I'll come across it when I go traveling, you never know.

I love both chicken and rice, it's the spices that can put me off sometimes.


 Perhaps some of these are sweets? I would love to try the light green stuff in the middle. It reminds me of Bosnian Sarma. A dish made of pickled cabbage leaf stuffed with rice and minced.

This sure looks yummy for a breakfast although I'm not so keen on coffee. I usually only drink water.

  Wow! A truly mouth-licking cheesecake cupcake with berries on top delivered at my door. It came all the way from Russia. Amazing! If only it was real. I'd gladly swap a postcard for the real thing.

Heather's holiday cards from Singapore.

Heather's holiday cards from Singapore.

Heather's holiday cards from Singapore.

Heather's holiday cards from Singapore.

 The taste of Malaysia is back on my blog. I wish we could pick free food/recipe postcards in restaurants and take-aways here but I haven't seen any. Perhaps I should create my own all-time-favourite, old-fashioned, homemade Bosnian/Balkan's postcard recipes?

 This looks nice and creamy. Most cakes you get at cake shops here (apart from the traditional ones such as baklava. tulumbe, hurmasice, etc) are creamy and moist. Chocolate flavours are everyone's favourites but coconut and different flavours of custard cream in cakes filling can be just as good.

When I look at my food & recipe postcard collection from Asia, I cannot help but admire it for its colourful and artistic display but it's a kind of food that I wouldn't be able to eat (most of it) because they mix all sort of tastes, e. g. sweet and sour and that makes me sick + there're all sort of foods they eat that I've never come across and so I can't tell if I'd like it or not... but it sure does look nice...

I've never been a pasta fan but I like the way spaghetti look like and this postcard reminds me of that. Noodles in the Balkans are small round balls, flattened so they're not as thick and that gives them a wider shape too and they are made of semolina powder, eggs and oil/fat and are only cooked in and served with soup. They're among my favourite dishes too.

This looks like Turkish Delight to me - a delicacy that is also a part of Bosnian cuisine though I don't like it. Rose flavoured or walnut flavoured are the ones I can eat but I don't like other flavours. People always bring it to you here when they come to visit and you also take it with you when you go to visit others (along with a bag of ground coffee but a cubed sugar, chocolates and wine are just as common).

I wonder what this is. I love soups and stews and can only wonder if this is one of them or if it's a sauce/dip for snacks. I love the colour of it... reminds me of a sauce I make for rice.

More tasty sweets from Indonesia! If ever given a chance, I'd love to try Indonesian sweets (and other food). I'm not sure I'd like the taste since I know many Asian countries combine sweet and savour tastes and that's not what we do here, so I probably couldn't eat that food. Back in England, I've tried Indian and Chinese takeaways and even though the food looked great, the taste of the food was different from anything I've grown up eating. I've also been at Chinese buffets and some of the food I tried there was delicious without the sweet-sour sauces that you're supposed to put on top. 

This is lovely. The way it's displayed, it reminds me of a hamburger and I love rice. It's not my favourite food I prefer potatoes) but it's healthy and when prepared in the right way can be delicious!
 
 Rice - I love it prepared in any way and form... it's my staple food when I'm on a food intolerance diet, trying to lose weight since I can't eat bread and potatoes. That's when I stop liking it because it's on my menu every day. I have it stir-fried with veggies, in a form of pilav with roast meat from the oven, with Bolognese sauce, in stuffed peppers and other stuffed vegetables but also as a rice pudding with coconut milk.

Okra is not a common dish where I live but it's a must have on certain holidays, such as Eid. Over here, it's prepared with veal (or beef). Not my cup of tea. We've only cooked it once at home.

 This looks nice. Veal skewers with veggies between the meat is a popular party/barbecue snack here.




I love the taste of chilli so this would something I'd go for. I'm not too keen on sea food (I prefer pond/river fish like carp or catfish) apart from the salmon, which is my favourite. I find sea food not to be filling. However, I love trying out different foods and recipes because I'm an adventurer and when given a chance, will try anything. Currently on my list to try out are frog legs and snake steaks.

This looks refreshing. If it's lemon/lime/grapefruit flavoured, then it's my favourite! I don't know what the black 'seeds' are but with or without them, it still looks yummy. The only thing I'd add is an ice cube (or two).

Who would've guessed it's a savoury dish inside? My first thought was that it's some sort of a tropical drink.

 This is something I'd never attempt making (since I've never really mixed veggies/greens with fruit, apart from carrot and beetroot) but it sure looks nice. When I lived in the UK, I tried all sorts of different food combinations and some were really good, even though not what I'm typically used to. I like trying different food when I'm away from home but am not really open to experimenting at home although I love cooking and baking. Sometimes you can't even find the right ingredients.

 This looks so delicious!!! If it was on a plate in front of me now, I'd glady eat it. I love tomatoes and we eat lots of them in the Mediterannean + I love Mozarella cheese but it's expensive so I don't get to eat it often. I love garlic too and overuse it in my cooking but I've never had fresh herbs in my food. Time to start planting my own little garden.

 This recipe brings back the memories of my late teens when I spent one summer living and working in the USA. When I first tried Tacos I didn't like it. I think it was the corn, crusty shell that put me off but then I wasn't any more keen on soft Tacos either. However after having it a few times I kind of got hooked and they're my favourite fast food now. We don't have them in Bosnia and I haven't come across any anywhere in Europe where I've travelled. We have a section with international food in our stores so I did attempt making them at home but it's just not as good as in the States (or Mexico, I believe).

 I love stir-fried veggies with or without meat (and I like to add a spoonful of sour cream in the end so I dip my bread in it, it's yummy!) in any form. I usually soften chopped onions and sliced carrot, add crushed garlic, diced bell peppers and sliced mushrooms (or zucchini). Even tomatoes, but then it turns into a broth so it's something else. I've never had peas or corn in it (or any of the above mentioned sauces, I use sour cream for that or make garlic sauce with chicken broth or Bechamel sauce to pour it over my food).

 I've never been fond of sea food before I went to England. It's neither popular nor common here though there're lots of people who like to eat fish. Fresh water fish far more affordable and I love catfish and carp. I tried salmon in England for the first time and absolutely love it. I've rarely had it back home because it's so expensive and dry, not a good quality. I'm not keen on prawns but like skewers with meat and veggies.

Pork chops are awesome. I love pork but here we eat honey with butter or use it in cakes so I'm not used to having it on my savory meals. It's one thing that I just cannot eat in combination with other food.

Beautiful collection of postcards from postcard fair that I received from a random person from FB postcrossing group. I tried Linzer cake both in Linz in Austria, where they originally come from and also made it at home. I've never tried Linzer cookies though they seem to be very similar to Vanilice (vanilla cookies) that we make here. They're also sandwiched with jam.

 These are my least favourite in this collection but they still belong to this blog.

 I'm not a coffee drinker but I did get hooked on ice coffee and drink it out in coffee bars. I like it with lots of cream or with rum. Even though I'm not a coffee drinker, I do love coffee cakes.

 Croissants are everyone's favourites, I believe. When I tried empty, plain, butter croissants in France (and England also) I realised they were so much better than the ones they sell in bakeries here which are filled with custard or jam. There're store bought ones also and now there's a new flavour which I'm so hooked on: peanut butter + chocolate flavoured custard.

Pink Lemonade was my most favourite drink when I was in the States. I always thought that it's made with rose petals but now I see it's not. Unfortunately, it's another thing we don't have here.

 This is not my kind of food. We eat lots of bread here, although I try not to and I like to have plenty of other stuff to go with my bread. This would be too dry. I don't even eat my pizza crust sometimes because like I said, I like my bread to be topped up with something. However, when I'm out downtown, I'll gladly grab kifle (small bread roles that are soft and taste better when warm) from a bakery. They're popular here.

 Now, this is something that I'm dying to try out. I think I tried something similar in England but it was topped with fresh tomato slices and slices of Mozarella cheese with herbs. It was yummy!

Another yummy snack! I have something that resembles panini press so could use that. I love my bread toasted that way and my sandwiches warmed up in it. Anything toasted in that press turns out tasting great.


This looks delicious! I love scones. I never think of them as my favourite snack but now when I think of different food they can go with, I think I should make them more often. I love the picture on this postcard. It's beautiful, along with the recipe, which I'm hoping to try out some day.

Hummus! It's my favourite dip. We don't have it in my country and even finding chickpeas + Tahini (sesame seed paste) isn't always easy to find because it's not a part of our cuisine. Neither are lentils - my other favourite food to use in cooking.

 A postcard with spices, including my favourite: chilli pepper. I wish I had more room for spices at home and more spices too. Some of the spices I love are not even available in Bosnia, such as cardamom. Oh, well.

 I love door and windows postcards and this one fits the category but because it's got baskets with food, I decided to add it to this category. It remind me of a harvest day, it's not observed in Bosnia but I know it's observed in some other countries when people give thanks for the harvest or something like that.

More spices (from Russia) that I could do well with, had they been in my kitchen.

A colourful and tasty postcard from Russia! I love these square postcards but don't really know how to store them as they don't fit any of my albums where I tend to store postcards. Perhaps I'll have to turn to my folder with see-through covers that I could put these (and any other differently shaped) postcards in.

A lovely square postcard from Eileen in England.

Macaroons! They're awesome. Along with (caramel-flavoured) Cheesecakes, Brownies, and Turkish/Bosnian/Greek Baklava they're next on my list of favourites.

How sweet and soft they are on this postcard.

It's a pitty, I'm not good at making them.

 I love coconut flavoured cakes and cookies, even though they're not my among my top favourites. I've never tried anything with rice flour, perhaps it's time I do? One thing I love about this recipe is the fluid filling that you achieve through the process but there's no palm sugar to be bought anywhere around here so I'll have to think of something else. I will be trying it out at some point.

 Chicken Satay - I love meat (especially poultry), and we make meat skewers in a similar way here. We also add vegetable chunks in between the meat chunks and use different spices and either fry or grill the skewers. When fried, it's a better taste - but then it depends on what your taste is.

This looks good but calls for strange ingredients that I've never heard of which means it can't be cooked in my kitchen. I love cooking and baking and trying out new recipes but one thing I hate is having to come up with the replacement for the original ingredients. Sometimes you just can't make it.

I love the photo on this postcard. I prefer food/recipe postcards to be with a standard size photo of food. It gives a better view and there's always more room for the recipe in the back.























Chinese Tea.

 Chinese cooking.

 More Chinese cooking.

 Chinese doughnuts... I assume.

I guess this could be Chinese soup or stew.

 I'm not sure if this is a dumpling or a fortune cookie. If it's a fortune cookie then there's a piece of paper inside with an inspiring message. These cookies are sold in Asian countries.

Chocolate is something I couldn't live without and my favourites are Snickers. I also love Milka chocolates and the Polish chocolates that only recently appeared in Bosnian stores. Generally, I love chocolates with whole hazelnuts, and the ones with biscuits/wafels.














No comments:

Post a Comment