Wednesday 11 November 2015

NEW ZEALAND, Oceania, Australia (232)

I will start my first post in this section with a beautiful kiwi postcard from Aaron. Kiwis are nocturnal, flightless birds native to New Zealand and kiwi is also a national symbol of New Zealand and the association is so strong that the same term is is used internationally to refer to New Zealanders.  

Another kiwi postcard from Aaron (but this time a little white albino kiwi). Perhaps an interesting fact to add here is that London zoo was the first zoo to keep kiwi (and not many zoos are lucky to have one since all kiwi species are threatened with extinction). 

I so love these animal postcards from New Zealand. Wish I could find similar postcards here to send out to others but I'm afraid all I've ever come across is nothing but typical, bland city views. At least there're still people out there who collect unesco's and will swap for used/mint stamps and give me a chance to get a hold of some of these beautiful postcards in return.  

This is so much like Norway (one of the countries that I'm dying to visit some day). Actually, I'd better correct myself and admit that there's a long list of countries I'd be pleased to visit and New Zealand is one of them too. What fascinates me about New Zealand, apart from its nature, is that it's so isolated from the rest of the world and therefore, still a hidden jewel (though it's pretty far from home as well).

What was the first thing that came to my mind when I looked at Nugget Point in this postcard? I was probably thinking of another seaside holiday. It's just the way I am: a nature and animal lover in mind and spirit and an adventurer who enjoys travelling and exploring new places which has led to my favorite hobby - deltiology, where all the magic happens and this very blog is the result of that passion.

I love the blueness in this postcard. I love the blue colour (and purple too). If I was to name this postcard, I'd call it '50 Shades of Blue' since there is some grey colour in it I may as well refer to it as '50 Shades of Grey' though it has nothing to do with the so called erotic novel/movie. I simply love this postcard!

The more the merrier - is what comes to mind when I look at this extraordinary postcard that Aaron was so kind to send me - thank you very much! It's just perfect, no need to say more.

If I was ever to come and visit New Zealand, this would be one of the first places I'd go to visit. Cathedral Cove, named after the cave located there, along with the beach was used as the tunnel through which the Pevensie children first reentered Narnia in the movie version of The Chronicles of Narnia. 

Even though it doesn't look like much, it would definitely be an interesting place to visit - thermal area with hot water and steam.

I so love postcards with reflections in water, I find them so beautiful + I really enjoy looking at all these postcards that reveal New Zealand's nature - some of them are breathtaking. 

Another postcard with a lake - a pretty one! For a moment I closed my eyes and tried to imagine what camping here would be like... Even though some people find it rough, I love it. I have been camping a lot in my teenage years and would have continued had there ever been a chance to do it again.

Another postcard filled with the blueness. The river is so pretty.


Famous Milford Sounds... I wonder if you can actually hear a particular sound when sailing through this area. It sure looks pretty and it's another place in New Zealand that I'd go visit if I was ever given a chance.

This is the picture you get on a perfect weather day in New Zealand. Isn't it pretty?

Statue of Maori maiden, saviour of her people. The legend has it that a young Maori maiden saved Maori women at sea by doing what had to be done in the moment of need and that was to act like a man and row the canoe to save it from going adrift (which was unusual and forbidden - canoe paddling was a man's job) since no men were around."A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for", perhaps the same could refer to women?
 
This is absolutely amazing. I so love sunset/sunrise colours and such moments when I'm at the seaside are priceless. I can only imagine what it must be like to take a walk down this pier at such times, listen to the sound of the waves, seize the day, savour the moement...

Cathedral square lit up at night. Repeated earthquakes have damaged the ChristChurch Cathedral (mostly the spire) in the course of its history. The west wall collapsed in the June 2011 earthquake due to a steel structure - intended to stabilise the rose window - pushing it in. The Anglican Church has decided to demolish the building and replace it with a new structure - a decision which has become controversial in post-quake Christchurch. Various groups have opposed the Church's intentions, with actions including taking a case to court. As of January 2015 the judgements have mostly been in favour of the Church, with one more judgement pending. No demolition has occurred since the removal of the tower in early 2012. Since 15 August 2013 the cathedral community has worshipped at the Cardboard Cathedral.

 
A lovely postcard of Queenstown looking West. What I absolutely love about New Zealand's postcards is that they display both mountains and lakes together - it's such a pretty combination.

Finally, here comes the first postcard with sheep (and a beautiful snow covered Mount Cook in the distance). It’s widely believed that New Zealand has 20 sheep for every person. Apparently, in 2007 New Zealand was home to 3 million people and 60 million sheep, though it's nearer to 4.5 million people and maybe 45 million sheep now in 2015. Whether the previous statement was true or false, it is still true that people in New Zealand are greatly outnumbered by sheep. New Zealanders have also long been outnumbered by cattle, although not to the same extent as by sheep.

Another postcard with sheep but this time featuring the plains at Castle Hill Station in the Canterbury high country. Apparently, lots of people stop here for a quick photo (the outcrops of rock shapes are a famous feature of this area) or a walk in the hills.

A typical view for me to enjoy - sheep farm on the flat ground. The only thing missing is water.

Sheep on the road, though not the main road. All over New Zealand's there are flocks of sheep walking along roads accompanied by farmers and their sheep dogs- not that it's much different here but sheep dogs here are almost nonexistent and sheep are often left unsupervised.

A peaceful, quiet road. A river leading into the lake. Peaceful mountains and farmland. It would make a perfect start of a book and I think I could sit there for hours writing, enjoying myself and admiring the landscape which brings me to another conclusion and that is that I haven't been away in the countryside in a long time now. Time to start planning a trip.

Another beautiful lake postcard with awesome autumn colours. I wonder what New Zealand's summers and winters are like and I really hope to see this beautiful country for real some day.

Wouldn't it be great to take a walk on this open south side beach through the sand dunes and along the flats? Apparently, it's a place where you can come across a sea lion and yellow eyed penguins who come in each night from the surf to their nests on the land.

This beautiful postcard along with some others arrived in an envelope with beautiful New Zealand stamps on a dull and rainy day and therefore brought in some sunshine. Mountains and lakes are my favourites and Aaron knows that. Thank you for another gorgeous lot of postcards!

A view of the Hooker Valley from high on the walking track to Sebastopol. The alpine mosses and grasses seen are typical in the mountains.

This is a classic New Zealand's waterfall in the Catlins area (Purakaunui Falls). I love the sound of the waterfalls. I love to watch the water drop from hills and mountains... I haven't been to many waterfalls as they're not easily approached in my country but I hope to visit many more in the future.

Another view of New Zealand's waterfall. A lot faster and a lot more powerful but not as tall as the previous one (Huka Falls).

Lovely autumn colours down and across lake Tekapo.

I love big birds on postcards though I prefer single views but it's nice to receive something different from time to time. I'm happy to see my New Zealand's postcard collection growing, it's awesome!

Tui: a famous New Zealand native sing bird. <these birds are not just  colourful - they will mimic radio jingles and adds if heard often. How smart is that!

Fiordlands - it seems there's water everywhere at Milford Sound. Many waterfalls drop into Milford Sound, which can be seen from boats and kayaks, which I'm sure is an unforgettable experience.

A view of the volcanic mountain, which is often covered in snow, rises above native Beech trees.

Kea: a New Zealand's famous mountain parrot. These audacious birds are easily approached and fed and they will eat all kinds of things - especially bright, shiny, chewy, or colourful objects.... that may be attached to a car. Although amusing, they're potentially destructive and dangerous - anything could get pecked, including eyes (colourful and shiny).

Dolphins: I did know that they're friendly but not that they have their own noisy speech patterns so it's not quiet when you're around them.

Young Possum: Possums are timid, furry, nocturnal and rather cute marsupials with long thick tails and are not native but were introduced to New Zealand. As they eat at night, they have overrun the native forests and are eating the leaves at an alarming rate (so they are considered to be a pest which have to be reduced and the trade in possum fur and products may be the best way to do it - poor, poor possums! Wish some of them could be brought over to BiH).

Penguins: So happy to see some penguins swim my way! They're so beautiful. I wonder how close you can approach them. When I visit zoos abroad I always look for penguins. Thank you for this postcard, Aaron.

Another penguin swam my way. Thank you Aaron.




An absolutely unusual but at the same time awesome postcard from New Zealand. I love all of the signs/animals probably because they are new to me as we have none of them over here.

Another of the postcard series that I very much fell in love with... but unfortunately only have this one. I really hope that whoever is reading this from New Zealand will be so kind as to look for other postcards in this series to send me. I love them!

This is a beautiful postcard. I love everything about it: the colours, the pictures displayed and the disposition of the pictures. I know I said in a previous post that I wasn't very keen on multiview postcards but this postcard is a proof that I was wrong. This postcard made me change my mind.

Some very old former farm buildings sent to me through a private swap from a random postcrosser in New Zealand. None are lived in but used for storing hay or animal feed, or used as sheering sheds.

A spectacular display of colours. I don't like snow but I love the purple colour in the postcard so the middle right and bottom picture are my favourites. Must be cold on that mountain!

I fell in love with the spectacular meeting of land and shimmering sea in this postcard the minute I got it. It creates such an intriguing atmosphere. I love black and white photography and this one's a perfect gift. Thank you Aaron. Most of my beautiful New Zealand postcards are from Aaron and Heather, you indeed live/lived in a beautiful country.

Wish I was there...


Aoraki/Mount Cook is the highest mountain in New Zealand. It's a popular tourist destination and also a favourite challenge for mountain climbers. It is also on a UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

So happy to see sheep on New Zealand's postcards again. Totally unnecessary to add, but I will say it anyway, is that I love this series of postcards as well (and would be happy to receive more of them in the future). I'd better arrange some private swaps with more postcrossers in New Zealand.

Beautiful autumn colours.

When I first discovered pikitia postcards, I was over the moon. The size was just perfect to fit my little teddy bear albums that I have received on my 30th birthday so they were no longer empty... and the postcards were safer as well. This beautiful Church of the Good Shepherd built on the shores on the lake has become a popular photo spot for visitors. 

Sometimes I look at pikitia postcards on their website (which is how I first discovered them) and even though there are many, I'm more than pleased with how many I have received so far and there's still plenty of room in my albums for them. Simply love the sheep in this postcard!

#46.

































































I'm so in love with sunset postcards and this one's so special. I
This would be an ideal place to sit and read a book for a couple of hours. Love it!

Just look at the sky in this postcard... amazing!










































































































Greenness of New Zealand's lush rainforests... and no I wouldn't get lost there Aaron because I would never go off the beaten path... (that is unless I saw a kiwi bird ;))










No comments:

Post a Comment